Summer time is fully on its way! For me, it screams – yeah, watermelon time! As I simply adore watermelons, I am looking forward to eating them fresh every day, making watermelon slimming smoothies and nice refreshing drinks!
But for many of us it is also time to learn how to choose your best watermelons to go into your smoothies and shakes! I know that choosing a juicy, tasty, fully ripe and a sweet watermelon isn’t an easy task – unless you learn simple tips and tricks of the craft!
If you are on a fruit diet and you fancy a watermelon day, make sure you have learnt how to find the finest watermelon for a sensational fruity experience. It is perhaps interesting to know that watermelons are actually officially both fruit and vegetables (it is part of the same veggie family as cucumber, squash and pumpkin)! Majority of people perceive it only as fruit as it is sweet by nature! This fruit with a great slimming potential deserves our full attention. Here is how to select the best one of its kind:
1. FEEL YOUR WATERMELON WEIGHT – the ripest and the juiciest watermelons should be heavy by size due to their high water content! Lift your watermelon and compare its weight to other watermelons of equal size – the heavier it is, the riper.
2. CHECK OUT YOUR WATERMELON SHAPE – a nice watermelon should be cylindrical or spherical. If a watermelon has an eggplant shape, that is an indication of water deficiency during its growth. A watermelon should be firm and shouldn’t have larger bruises or dark sports. However, some small scratches are fine. Lumps or bumps mean water and sun irregularities. Watermelon top should look fresh and not dried out!
3. CHECK OUT YOUR WATERMELON COLOR – always inspect your watermelon for color. A perfect, ripe watermelon should be dark green and dull. Don’t take shiny watermelons as they aren’t ripe enough!
4. CHECK OUT YUR WATERMELON SPOTS – turn your watermelon and check its underside. It should have a yellow spot known as the field spot. The darker the spot, the better. If the field spot is white, then the watermelon isn’t ripe enough, try another one!
5. CHECK OUT YOUR WATERMELON FOR SOUND EFFECTS – and eventually try the famous sound effect or the knock-knock test! This seemingly funny test can provide somewhat subjective yet helpful insight into the maturity of your watermelon. If you feel a vibration through your watermelon, it is probably ripe enough while a flat, dull sound means that it is potentially overripe.
When picking your watermelons, simply pay attention to its weight, shape, color, spots and sound – also, know what to look for when selecting pre-cut watermelons. Choose pieces with bright red flesh and dark brown or black seeds. Avoid pieces with white stripes and white seeds, they are not ripe enough!
And with this summer watermelon crash course you are fully ready to enjoy your mouthwatering summer red devil delight!